It has taken me several weeks to be able to write about this experience. I was so angry, disappointed and hurt that I fumed every time I talked about it.
- The nominations committee was homogeneous. It's how we are wired, people gravitate to like people, which is why it's paramount to have diversity on the nominations committee. Translation: without diversity in the beginning, it is highly unlikely to end up with diversity.
- There was little or no outreach to the minority alumni groups. Sending one or two blast emails to the entire alumni body does not constitute outreach. Translation: you have not because you ask not.
- Nothing in the by-laws requires a minimum number of board members to function.
- Nothing in the by-laws precludes the board from holding a special election.
- Nothing in the by-laws is written in stone and can't easily be amended to suit the boards immediate needs at a given time.